Settings, Messages, and Translations
If you’re a Regular User, check out our Regular User resources.
Customize company information, upload a logo, and set up values, translations, and messages under Invoices > Configure and Estimates > Configure.
Information in Invoices > Configure > Company information will automatically share with Estimates > Configure > Company Information. From either, you can:
- Enter your company name and address the way they should appear on your invoices and estimates.
- Customize from which email address your invoices and estimates are sent by updating the Send Message As setting.
Information for taxes only is shared between Invoices > Configure and Estimates > Configure for Default Values. Invoice and estimate subject and notes need to be set separately.
- Taxes – You can enter a first and second tax to be applied to your invoices, and you can choose either simple or compound tax under Taxation Mode.
There are also some invoice-specific settings under Invoices > Configure > Default Values.
- You can turn on Time Rounding and round incrementally up to or to the nearest 6, 15, or 30 minutes.
- You can set a default due date to be applied to all invoices.
Information in Invoices > Configure > Appearance will automatically share with Estimates > Configure > Appearance. From either, you can:
- Upload a logo by clicking the Choose File button and selecting your logo file. You can replace your logo by clicking Choose File again and selecting your new logo file. Logos can be removed at any time by clicking Remove Logo, then confirming. Note that the option to add a logo to an invoice isn’t available if you’re using our free plan.
- Turn on the Snail-Mail Friendly setting so the recipient’s address will appear in an envelope window.
- Hide Columns so that the Type, Quantity, or Unit Prices columns do not show on your invoices and estimates.
Messages, Translations, and Item Types
Information is not shared between Invoices > Configure and Estimates > Configure for these sections.
Invoice and Estimate Messages
You can customize messages that will go out when an invoice or estimate is sent under Invoices > Configure > Messages or Estimates > Configure > Messages. These sections also list variables that you can use in the messages to automatically include information like the invoice or estimate total, the issue date, or the invoice due date.
You can set up a reminder to be sent whenever an invoice is late. To set up these reminders:
Go to Invoices > Configure > Messages and scroll to Reminder Message.
Check the box next to Automated Reminder and select how often you want the reminder to send.
- If you choose to send reminders when the invoice is 3 days late and every 7 days after, that means you are sending the second reminder 7 days after the first. Ex. If you the invoice is late on the 1st of the month, the first reminder will go out on the 4th, and the second will go out on the 11th.
Customize your message as needed. You can use any of the variables listed at the top of the page.
Click the Save Messages button.
Note that once the default reminder settings are enabled, they’ll only affect invoices that become late after they’ve been enabled. They won’t apply to existing invoices that were already late when the reminder settings were set up.
If you need to change how often a reminder is sent on a case-by-case basis, you can click into any sent invoice and edit the invoice reminder.
Invoice Thank-you Messages
You can customize a thank-you message that you can send once an invoice is paid. If you have online payment enabled, you can also choose to automatically send a thank-you message whenever a client pays an invoice that way. Here’s how to configure these messages:
- Go to Invoices > Configure > Messages and scroll to Thank-you Message.
- If you want to automate thank-you messages for online payments, check the box next to Send a thank-you once an invoice is marked as paid after online payment.
- Customize your message as needed. You can use any of the variables listed at the top of the page.
- Click the Save Messages button.
Translations and Item Types
- You can customize labels for your invoices and estimates—whether you need to translate them into another language or change the words to match your country or company’s wording—under Invoices > Configure > Translations or Estimates > Configure > Translations.
- Each line item on an invoice is assigned an Item Type. You can customize Item Types that appear in the Type dropdowns on an invoice or estimate from Invoices > Configure > Item Types or Estimates > Configure > Item Types.
- There are two default Item Types that will appear in the Type dropdowns: Product for expenses, and Service for billable hours or fees. You can edit the name of an existing default by clicking the Edit button next to it.
- Additional Item Types can be created by clicking the + New Item Type button. While the default Item Types will automatically populate on invoices, other Item Types need to be assigned to invoice line items manually.