Managing a Retainer
If you’re a Regular User, check out our Regular User resources.
Add funds to an existing retainer, apply additional retainer funds to an existing invoice, archive retainers with a remaining balance, or delete a retainer.
For more information on creating and drawing from retainers, take a look at this page.
How to Add Funds to an Existing Retainer
- Go to Invoices > Retainers.
- Click the retainer to which you want to add funds.
- On the retainer page, click + Add Funds.
- Create a free-form invoice for the amount you’d like to add to the retainer.
- Save the invoice, and send it to the client.
- Record Payment for the invoice when it’s received. If you click View Retainer Details at the top of the invoice, you’ll see that the new funds have been added to the retainer.
How to Apply More Retainer Funds to an Existing Invoice
When you edit and re-save an invoice that already pulls from a retainer, we’ll check to see if more retainer funds can be applied.
- Go to Invoices and click on the invoice.
- Click Edit Invoice, then Update Invoice.
Note: There’s no need to actually change anything when editing the invoice. Also, this only applies to invoices that pulled funds from a retainer when they were initially created.
How to Archive a Retainer with a Balance
Go to Invoices > Retainers, and open the retainer you need to close.
Click + Add Funds.
Generate a dummy invoice for the negative amount of the balance of the retainer.
- Ex. If the retainer balance is $100, generate a retainer invoice for -$100.
Save the invoice, and mark it as paid with the Record Payment button.
Select View Retainer Details at the top left of the invoice to open the retainer.
If you’d like those funds to show up in future invoice and payments received reports, you can create a new, free-form, regular invoice for that amount and mark it as paid.
How to Delete a Retainer
As long as the retainer balance is 0 and there have been no funds added to or drawn from it, there’s an option available to delete it. If the retainer has seen any past activity, you’ll only have the option to archive it.
- Go to Invoices > Retainers, and open the retainer you need to delete.
- Select the Delete button on the right.
- Click the Delete Retainer button to confirm and permanently delete the retainer. Note that this can’t be undone.