Harvest will allow you to archive clients, projects, people, tasks, and expense categories that you no longer need. We keep all time and data preserved.
Archiving vs. deleting
You can archive clients, projects, people, tasks, and expense categories.
- Archived items can be restored at any time.
- You can still report on all archived data, including associated time and expenses.
- You can still invoice for all archived data, including associated time and expenses.
- You can’t track time or expenses to archived projects, clients, tasks, or expense categories.
Deleting an item will permanently remove it from your account. Clients, people, tasks, and expense categories can only be deleted from your account if no time or expenses have been tracked to them. Projects with tracked time or expenses can be deleted, and that action will simultaneously delete any time, expenses, and retainers linked to the project.
How to archive or delete
For more information on how to archive and delete, visit the following sections:
- Projects: Archiving and deleting projects
- Clients: Managing clients
- People: Archiving and deleting people
- Tasks: Managing tasks
- Expense categories: Managing expenses
Accessing and restoring archives
To view archived projects, go to your Projects section, click the filter in the top left, and select Archived projects. You can also search for an archived project by name.
Click Restore next to a project's name to restore it. You can also restore projects in bulk by selecting the checkboxes to the left of their names, clicking the Actions dropdown, and then clicking Restore selected projects.
You can find your archives for clients, tasks, and expense categories by going to the Manage tab. Click into the appropriate section, then click the View archived clients, View archived tasks, or View archived categories link that appears in the upper right. To restore archives:
- Go to the Manage > Clients, Tasks, or Expense categories section.
- Click View archived clients, View archived tasks, or View archived categories in the upper right.
- Click Restore for the item you want to restore.
- Tasks can be restored in bulk by selecting the checkboxes to the left of their names and then clicking Restore selected tasks.
To view and restore archived people:
- Go to Team and click View archived people in the upper right.
- Click the Restore button for the team member you want to restore.
The restored items will then be shown with the other active information in your account.
For archived people and tasks, you’ll need to restore them in Team or Manage > Tasks, and also restore them to any projects where the person should continue tracking time or the task should again be available for people to track time to. To restore people or tasks to a project:
- In Projects, click the Actions menu for the project and select Edit to get to the Edit Project form.
- In the Tasks section of the Edit Project page, click Restore next to the task you’d like to restore; or, in the Team section of the Edit Project page, click Reassign next to the person you’d like to assign to the project again.
- Then, click Update project at the bottom of the page.
Archived people and your Harvest subscription
The cost of a Harvest subscription is calculated based on the number of seats in your plan. There is no limit to the number of archived people you can have in your account, and you can invite a new person to fill an unused seat in your plan after you archive someone.
If you're not inviting someone else to use the seat, though, you need to manually reduce your paid seats to stop being charged for any unused ones.
You can adjust your plan from the Billing Information section of your Settings (top right). Your next regular renewal charge, whether monthly or yearly, will reflect the new seat count.
Archiving people can be especially useful for companies that have part-time or seasonal staff and are on a monthly subscription. It’s easy to update your plan from month to month and only pay for the number of seats you need.