Beta Permissions: What's new for Project Managers?
This article is for Harvest beta permissions. The beta program is available to team accounts who opted in. If you're looking for information on permissions for a non-beta account, you can find that in the Team Permissions article of our regular Help Center.
With the Harvest permissions beta, the Project Manager permissions title has been renamed Manager. This update in terminology reflects the additional flexibility that comes with this mid-level permission in Harvest.
Manager permissions in detail
Formerly called Project Manager, this mid-level permission is perfect for team members who are in charge of keeping your projects on track or who manage others. Managers can track time and expenses to projects they’re assigned to, and they can also manage projects and report on and approve time and expenses for projects they manage and their assigned people.
You can choose who manages a project when creating or editing a project or in a person's user profile. All Managers of a project can:
- View the full report for the project. They can see all time and expenses tracked by other team members to the project, as well as how that compares to an hourly budget.
- Approve hours and expenses tracked to that project by any team member (if approval functionality is enabled in the account).
- Edit select project details, including hourly budgets, tasks, and assigned people.
- Note: While all project managers can add existing tasks to projects, only Managers with special permission can create brand new tasks for the project. Best practice is to have an Administrator or Manager with create task permissions create the task in the Manage > Tasks section so they can add the default information for the task, such as the default hourly rate.
- Archive, delete, and restore the project.
New! Assigned people
You can also make people assignments for Managers. Administrators can assign people to a Manager by heading Team and clicking Actions > Edit next to the appropriate Manager. Then start assigning people in the Assigned people tab on the left.
All Managers with assigned people can:
- Report on and approve time and expenses for their assigned people.
- View their assigned people's progress from Team.
- Edit some basic information in the user profiles of their assigned people (First Name, Last Name, Timezone).
- Resend the invitation to join the Harvest account to their assigned people.
Managers can only see certain projects in their Projects section: those they manage, and those they’re assigned to that are set to show the project report to everyone on the project. Other projects won’t be listed there, even if the Manager or their assigned people can track time and expenses to them.
Managers can also be given additional, optional permissions:
Updated! Optional: Create projects for all clients
Managers with this permission can create projects for all clients in the account. When setting up a new project, they can’t see or edit a fee-based budget, the hourly rate type, project fees, or the billable rates unless given the View billable rates and amounts permission (see below). They also won't be able to create new clients or tasks via the create project form unless they've been given special permission to Create and edit clients and tasks (see below).
Managers with permission to edit clients and tasks can access Manage > Tasks and Manage > Clients. Only Managers with the View billable rates and amounts permission will be able to view and edit billable rates for tasks.
New! Optional: Create and edit time and expenses for people and projects they manage
Managers with permission to edit time will be able to view and edit time tracked by people on projects they manage and/or time tracked by their assigned people. If your account has the Expenses module on, these Managers will also be able to view and edit expenses tracked by people on projects they manage, or by their assigned people.
Updated! Optional: See and edit billable rates and amounts for projects and people they manage
Managers with this permission can see and edit fee-based budgets, hourly rate types, project fees, and billable rates on all projects they manage. They can also edit the billable rate for their assigned people. If they have permission to create and edit clients and tasks, they can create/edit task rates via the Manage > Tasks section.
Managers with permission to create invoices can create and edit draft invoices for projects they manage. Note that by enabling the invoicing permission for Managers that they'll be automatically opted-in to view billable rates. They’ll have access to Invoices > Overview and Invoices > Recurring, but not to Invoices > Report, Retainer, or Configure. With this permission, they can:
- View invoices, only for projects they manage. This may include invoices created by other teammates.
- Create invoices, only for projects they manage.
- Edit draft invoices, only for projects they manage. If the invoice is no longer a draft (it's been sent, paid, written off, etc), the Manager can view it, but can't edit it.
- Save PDFs of invoices for projects they manage.
- Print invoices for projects they manage.
- Duplicate draft invoices for projects they manage.
New! Optional: Create and edit all estimates on the account
Managers with permission to create and edit estimates can access Estimates > Overview to create, send, and edit estimates. Note that by enabling the estimates permission for Managers that they'll be automatically opted-in to view billable rates.
What Managers can never do
Since Managers have many optional permissions, it could be helpful to know what a Manager can never do:
- See other people’s time and expenses outside of projects they manage and/or their assigned people
- See cost rates and amounts
- Send invoices to clients or mark invoices as sent
- Record payments to invoices
- Delete invoices
- Manage account settings
- Close the account
- Invite people to join the account
- Withdraw approval of timesheets for others
- Edit locked time and expenses