Beta Permissions: How can Managers create recurring invoices?
This article is for Harvest beta permissions. The beta program is available to team accounts who opted in. If you're looking for information on invoices for a non-beta account, you can find that in the Invoices and Estimates section of our regular Help Center.
Managers with the optional permission to Create and edit draft invoices for projects they manage can create a recurring invoice for clients whose projects they're set manage.
Managers won't be able to set a recurring invoice to send automatically, but an Administrator can update the recurring invoice to send automatically. Otherwise, a draft invoice will be created from the recurring invoice template, and an Administrator will be able to review and send that invoice to the client.
Create a recurring invoice
- Go to Invoices > Recurring and click New recurring invoice.
- Choose your client and click Next step.
- Choose the start date, frequency, and duration of the invoice. By default for Managers, the recurring invoice will be set to save as a draft in your invoice overview.
- Fill out the invoice, and Save.
Recurring invoices cannot pull in information from your timesheets. They’ll have the same information every time they’re generated.
This process creates a recurring invoice template, which will automatically generate a client invoice according to your set schedule. These templates appear under Invoices > Recurring.
The invoices that are generated from these templates will appear under Invoices > Overview. They can be managed exactly like non-recurring invoices.
A couple of notes regarding duration and frequency:
- If no duration is selected, recurring invoices will be generated until you manually delete the recurring invoice template.
- For invoices that recur on a monthly frequency, if you set the First Issue Date to the 31st of the month, Harvest will auto-adjust in months with fewer days and generate the invoice on the last day of those months.
Variables in recurring invoices and messages
The following variables are available to use in either the invoice subject or in line item descriptions to display the year or month the invoice was generated, right on the invoice itself:
Edit a recurring invoice
- Go to Invoices > Recurring and select the template for the recurring invoice you’d like to edit.
- From the template, make your changes.
- Click Update invoice to save.
Changes to the template for a recurring invoice will only apply to future invoices. If you’re looking to edit an existing invoice, you can view: Beta Permissions: How can Managers view, edit, and delete invoices?
Note that if a client has enabled recurring payments for invoices generated from a particular template, the template won’t be editable, with the exception of invoice recipients and messages. If you need to change the details of a recurring invoice template with this option enabled, you can either delete the recurring invoice template and create a new one, or you can ask your client to temporarily stop recurring payments on that invoice so the template can be edited.
Cancel a recurring invoice
- Go to Invoices > Recurring and select the template for the recurring invoice you’d like to cancel.
- From the template, click Delete invoice (bottom right).
- Click Delete recurring invoice to confirm.
Deleting is permanent and there’s no undo. While deleting the template for a recurring invoice will prevent invoices from being generated in the future, this won’t impact existing invoices.