New permissions: An overview of what's new
This article is in reference to new Harvest permissions, being released the week of March 14, 2022.
Our new permissions aim to make permissions in Harvest more flexible and remove roadblocks, while ensuring your teammates only have access to the information they should see. With that in mind, we've:
- renamed the permissions titles.
- added expanded access for the mid-level permission in Harvest.
- made some updates to the flow of adding a person to your account.
- updated the tabs you see when viewing your teams' user profiles.
New permissions titles
We've renamed what we call the different permissions levels in Harvest:
- Regular Users are now Members.
- Project Managers are now Managers.
- Administrators keep the same title.
Updated access for Managers
With new permissions:
- Managers can now have assigned projects and assigned people.
- Managers with special permission can now Create and edit time and expenses for people and projects they manage. This means they can edit time and expenses tracked to projects they manage as well as time and expenses tracked by their assigned people.
- Managers can now be given special permission to Create and edit all clients and tasks in the account. This will give them access to Manage > Clients and Manage > Tasks. This update now means Managers need this explicit permission to add new tasks to projects as well.
- Managers can now be given special permission to create and manage Estimates. This means they'll have access to Estimates > Overview. If Managers have access to estimates and special permission to create invoices, they can also turn estimates into invoices.
- Managers with special permission to Create and edit draft invoices for projects they manage will see expanded access to invoices in the account. They'll now be able to view all invoices created for projects they manage and can also edit all draft invoices for projects they manage.
- Managers can now be given access to Send and fully manage all invoices for projects they manage. This means they can record payments, edit non-draft invoices, send invoice reminders and thank-yous.
- Managers now require explicit permission to edit projects. This permission can be granted alongside the existing permission to create projects for all clients.
For full details about Harvest permissions, please see team permissions.
New invite flow
We've updated the form used to invite new people to your team. You'll see that instead of a single, long form to submit each time you invite someone that we've broken this down into 4 smaller steps:
- Invite teammate form: Here you'll enter a person's basic information such as first name, last name, work email, and whether or not they're an employee or contractor. You can also add a person's roles, capacity, and rates during this step, or you can add those later in the person's profile.
- Permissions form: This is where you'll assign a person's permissions. For more information on Harvest permissions, please see team permissions.
- Assign projects form: This is where you can assign your teammate to any projects they need to be able to track time and expense for. Click into the Find and select projects to assign... box to start making project assignments.
- Assign people form: If a person has Manager permissions, you'll be able to make people assignments to that person here. Click into the Find and select people to assign... field to start making people assignments.
New user profile menu
Along with updates to our permissions structure, we also wanted to make it easier to assign your Managers to projects and to make people assignments for your Managers.
You'll see this change when you view a person's profile. To access a person's profile, head to Team and select Actions > Edit next to a person whose profile you'd like to view.
You'll see that there are now 5 tabs in this view:
- The Basic info tab is where you can update a person's name, email address, roles, rates, etc. The only change to this tab is that it no longer includes a person's permissions.
- The Assigned projects tab used to just be called Projects. This is still where you'll assign your teammates to projects. You can also make project manager assignments here.
- The Assigned people tab is new, and this is where you can assign people to your teammates with Manager permissions.
- The Permissions tab is new, and is now separate from the basic info tab. This is where you'll assign and update permissions for your team.
- The Security tab remains the same and is a place where Administrators and some Managers can re-send the invitation to join the account and where password reset emails can be generated.