You can integrate your Stripe account with Harvest so your clients can pay you online via the Web Invoice. Besides removing the administrative overhead of collecting checks, online payment often means that clients pay sooner.
The Stripe integration offers two payment options:
- Credit card: This option is available for invoices in any currencies supported by your Stripe account.
ACH (bank transfer): This lower-fee option is available if you’re a United States-based business, and only for invoices in USD. Your clients can make payment from a US bank supported by Stripe. Note that not all institutions are supported.
- Stripe may take up to four business days to record an ACH payment’s success or failure and pass that information on to Harvest—until then, the Web Invoice will be marked with a Pending stamp and its status on the Invoices overview will remain Sent or Late. Note that the payment itself, if successful, can take up to seven business days to be reflected in your available Stripe balance.
- Initially, your Stripe account might not allow individual ACH transactions over $2,000 USD or transaction totals over $10,000 USD per week. To inquire about increasing these limits, please contact the team at Stripe directly.
More about payouts and fees
- Payments made via the Harvest and Stripe integration go directly into your Stripe account and then Stripe pays those out to your bank periodically. The payout timeframe is fully dependent on Stripe.
- In most cases, domestic US transaction fees are 2.9% + $0.30 for credit card payments or 0.8% (up to a maximum of $5) for ACH payments. For other applicable fees and more information, visit Stripe’s pricing page for your country.
- Transaction statuses, including for “Incomplete” transactions, are available on your Stripe dashboard.
Integrating with Harvest
- Go to Settings in Harvest.
- In the Online payment area of the Integrations section, click Connect with Stripe.
- If you already have a Stripe account, sign in. If you’re new to Stripe, fill out the quick form.
Once the Stripe integration has been activated, credit card payments will be enabled automatically and you can choose to disable them. If you want to accept ACH payments, you’ll need to opt in to them.
- To opt in to ACH payments, check the Enable bank transfer (ACH) payments box and click the Save Stripe settings button.
- You'll also need to accept Stripe's ACH Terms of Service before you're able to accept ACH payments through Stripe, including through the Harvest and Stripe integration. If you don't, your clients may see an error message and be unable to make an ACH payment to you. To accept the Stripe ACH Terms of Service, click through to https://stripe.com/docs/ach, make sure you're logged into Stripe, then click the Enable ACH button at the top of the ACH docs page.
- To disable credit card payments, uncheck the Enable credit card payments box and click the Save Stripe settings button.
After you enable your chosen payment method(s), these will be the default available payment methods for your clients who pay via a Web Invoice. You can edit the online payment options available for a particular invoice, or remove the option to pay it online, when creating or editing it.
When your client views the Web Invoice by clicking the link in the invoice email, a Pay invoice button at the top right will offer the available payment methods, depending on what you’ve enabled and the invoice’s currency. To see what this looks like for your clients, you can click into any invoice and then click the Preview button.
You must go to Stripe to disconnect your Harvest and Stripe accounts.
- From your dashboard in Stripe, go to Settings (gear icon in the top right) and then Business settings.
- In the Team and security section, click Installed apps.
- Under Connect Extensions, find Harvest and click the Revoke access icon (circle with a line through it).
- Click Revoke to confirm.
If you're unable to revoke access and see a notice in Stripe that "Harvest helps manage this account," please contact Harvest support for assistance.