How to add and edit time: Day view 🎦
The Day view of your timesheet lets you track your time as you work. You can either start a timer to run while you take care of a task or add entries for work you’ve already done. You can also add notes to your time entries and edit or delete previously entered time. Keyboard shortcuts and copying a previous timesheet can help you track time more efficiently.
You can reach this view by going to Time > Timesheet and ensuring that the Day/Week toggle is set to Day.
Certain company settings will change how you track time and the appearance of your time entries. Learn more in our article on time settings.
If you’re entering a week’s worth of time, you might want to use the Week view.
We recommend tracking time every day—it’s the best way to ensure the accuracy of your timekeeping! You can set up reminder emails that will automatically remind you to track your time whenever you choose.
How to enter time
There are two ways to track time in your timesheet’s Day view. You can keep a timer running while you work—during a phone call with a client, for example—or enter time after the fact, when you get out of a meeting or at the end of the day.
- Click the New entry button.
- Choose your project and task. You can quickly select by typing the project or task name in the selection box and pressing your Enter key.
- Note: To track time to a client, you’ll need to create a project for them first.
- If you want to keep any Notes on your work, you can add those here, too
- Start a running timer by clicking Start timer, or enter a duration (or start and end times, if your timesheet is set up that way) and click Save entry.
Because Harvest is web-based, your timesheet is constantly being saved whenever you start or end a timer or edit an entry—there’s no additional Save button to click!
There are a few keyboard shortcuts for your timesheet that can help you start your timer even faster so you can get right back to the work at hand.
- New entry: Hit the N key on your keyboard.
- Closing the New entry window: Hit ESC on your keyboard.
Copying your last timesheet
If you work on the same tasks day to day, you can copy over the projects and tasks from your most recent timesheet.
At the bottom of a blank timesheet, click the link to Copy over all rows from previous timesheet.The projects and tasks you worked on most recently, including any notes, will show up on your current timesheet without any tracked time.
How to edit or delete time
Everyone can edit or delete their own time, as long as it hasn’t been locked. The project, task, notes, and start time (if you track time by start/end times) can be changed while a timer is running; once a timer is stopped, any aspect of the time entry can be changed except the person it's tracked to. In this case, the time entry will need to be recreated in the other person's timesheet and deleted from yours.
Administrators can edit another person's time by clicking the Teammates button in the upper right corner of the timesheet and selecting the team member in question, then navigating to the time entry they’d like to edit.
- Click the Edit button that appears to the right of the entry.
- Make your changes and click Update entry, or click Delete and confirm to permanently delete the entry.
A time entry may be locked because it’s been invoiced or approved, or the project, task, or person related to the entry is archived.
Administrators can edit the Notes and Duration or Start and End Times on a locked time entry. They can also delete locked time.
- Click the Lock button to the right of the entry.
- Make your changes to the Notes, Duration, or Start/End time and click Update entry, or click Delete and confirm to permanently delete the entry.
While Administrators can edit the amount of time or the Notes field for a locked entry, they can’t edit the project/task combination. To do that, they’ll need to mark the entry as uninvoiced and/or withdraw approval for the entire timesheet.
If you need to unlock an entire timesheet, please see this page for instructions.