Configuring invoice and estimate settings
If you’re a Regular User, check out our Regular User resources.
You can customize your company information, upload a logo, and set up default values, translations, and messages for your invoices and estimates under Invoices > Configure and Estimates > Configure. Note that some information is automatically shared between these two sections when updated.
Company information is automatically shared between invoices and estimates.
Here, you can enter your company Name and Address the way they should appear on your invoices and estimates.
You can also customize which email address your invoices and estimates are sent from by updating the Send message as setting.
Tax information is automatically shared between invoices and estimates. However, this is the only information under default values that is automatically shared.
In the Tax section, you can enter a first and second tax to be applied to your invoices. You can also choose either simple or compound tax under Taxation mode.
You can turn on Time rounding in order to round either to the nearest or up to the nearest 6, 15, or 30 minutes.
- When time rounding is turned on, your team’s hours will be automatically rounded on summary time reports (under Reports > Time), on the Tasks and Team tabs of project analysis pages, and on new invoices.
You can set a default Payments due parameter (Upon receipt, Net 30, etc.) to be applied to all invoices.
You can enter a default Invoice subject. This is an optional one-liner template that can be used as the subject line of all your invoice emails.
You can also enter Invoice notes. These will show up below line items on invoices. It may be useful to add additional information such as payment method, payment terms, or additional tax information here.
Appearance information is automatically shared between invoices and estimates.
From either, you can upload a Logo or replace your existing logo by clicking the Choose file button and selecting a file from your computer.
- Logos can be removed at any time by clicking Remove logo, then confirming.
- The option to add a logo to an invoice isn’t available if you’re using our free plan.
You can also turn on the Snail-mail friendly setting so the recipient’s address will appear in an envelope window.
You can also Hide columns so that the type, quantity, or unit price columns do not show on your invoices and estimates.
Messages are not shared between invoices and estimates.
Invoice and estimate messages
Here, you can customize the default message that is sent to your client along with your invoices and estimates.
These sections also list variables that you can use in your default messages to automatically include dependent information, such as the invoice balance (%invoice_amount%), the invoice issue date (%invoice_issue_date%), or the invoice due date (%invoice_due_date%).
Under Invoices > Configure > Messages, you can set up a default reminder to be sent automatically whenever an invoice is late, on the days you choose. To set up Invoice Reminders:
Go to Invoices > Configure > Messages and scroll to Reminder message.
Check the box next to Automated reminder and select how often you want the reminder to send.
- For example, if you choose to send reminders when the invoice is 3 days late and every 7 days after, that means the second reminder will go out 7 days after the first. So, if an invoice is due on the 1st of the month, the first reminder will go out on the 4th, and the second will go out on the 11th.
Customize your message as you like. You can use any of the variables listed at the top of the page.
Click the Save messages button.
How editing reminder messages affects existing invoices
Note that once the default reminder settings are enabled or updated, they’ll only affect invoices that become late after they’ve been enabled. The new settings won’t apply to existing invoices that were already late when the reminder settings were set up.
If you enable or update the reminder message and want it to appear on invoices that already have reminders set up, you'll need to remove the existing reminder from the invoice, then manually set up a new reminder on it. The next reminder will then reflect the new message.
Editing and sending an individual invoice's reminder message
You can always manually send an invoice reminder for a late invoice. To do that, go to the individual invoice and click the green Send reminder button on the top left of the invoice.
If you need to edit a specific reminder message, change how often an invoice's reminder is sent, or remove reminders for a certain invoice, you can click into the invoice and edit its invoice reminder.
- Go to Invoices > Overview, navigate to the invoice, and click it to view it. You'll see a small clock icon with Email client a reminder once invoice is... in the top left of your screen.
- Click the Edit reminder link at the end of that note.
- Either edit the reminder and click the Set up reminder email button or, if you want to remove it, click the Remove reminder button at the bottom right of the module and confirm.
You can customize a default thank-you message to send once an invoice is paid. If you have online payment enabled, you can also choose to automatically send a thank-you message whenever a client pays an invoice via online payment. Here’s how to configure these messages:
- Go to Invoices > Configure > Messages and scroll to Thank-you message.
- If you want to automate thank-you messages for online payments, check the box next to Send a thank-you once an invoice is marked as paid after online payment.
- Customize your message as needed. You can use any of the variables listed at the top of the page.
- Click the Save messages button.
To manually send a one-off thank-you message after an invoice has been paid, navigate to a paid invoice and click the Send thank-you button on the top left of the invoice.
Translations are not shared between invoices and estimates.
The labels under Translations include things like the document title, amount, and the message your client will see after they make an online payment on the web invoice.
Updating this section can be useful if you need to translate your invoices into another language or change the labels to match your team's preferred verbiage, for example.
Item Types are not shared between invoices and estimates.
Each line item on an invoice and estimate is assigned an item type to add more detail and categorization to the time and expenses billed to your client. There are two default item types that will appear in the Type dropdowns: Product for expenses, and Service for billable hours or fees.
You can edit the name of each existing default by clicking the Edit button next to it. For example, if you want your default hours/fees item type to be "Labor," click Edit next to Service and update it.
Additional item types can be created by clicking the + New item type button. While the default item types will automatically populate on invoices and estimates, other item types must be assigned to line items manually.
You can enable online payment for client invoices under Invoices > Configure > Online payment. You can learn more about this feature in our article about Online Payment.