Configuring invoice and estimate settings
You can customize your company information, upload a logo, and set up default values, translations, and messages for your invoices and estimates under Invoices > Configure and Estimates > Configure. Note that some information is automatically shared between these two sections.
Company information is automatically shared between invoices and estimates.
Company name and address
Here, you can enter your company Name and Address the way they should appear on your invoices and estimates.
Send messages as setting
You can also customize which email address your invoices and estimates are sent from by updating the Send messages as setting.
Tax information is automatically shared between invoices and estimates. However, this is the only information under default values that is automatically shared.
In the Tax section, you can enter a first and second tax to be applied to your invoices. You'll be able to choose which taxes, if any, to apply for each line item on your individual invoices and extimates.
You can also choose either simple or compound tax under Taxation mode.
You can turn on Time rounding in order to round either to the nearest or up to the nearest 6, 15, or 30 minutes.
When time rounding is turned on, your team’s hours will be automatically rounded on:
- Summary time reports (under Reports > Time).
- The Tasks and Team tabs of project analysis pages.
- Budget calculations.
- New invoices.
Payments due setting
You can set a default Payments due parameter (Upon receipt, Net 30, etc.) to be applied to all invoices.
Invoice subject line
You can enter a default Invoice subject. This is an optional one-liner template that can be used as the subject line for all your invoice emails.
You can also enter Invoice notes. These will show up below line items on invoices. It may be useful to add additional information such as payment method, payment terms, or additional tax information here.
Appearance information is automatically shared between invoices and estimates.
Adding or removing a logo
You can upload a Logo or replace your existing logo by clicking the Choose file button and selecting a file from your computer.
- Logos can be removed at any time by clicking Remove logo, then confirming.
- The option to add a logo to an invoice isn’t available if you’re using our free plan.
- For best printing results, please make sure your logo image is at least 1500 pixels wide. Logos may be JPG, GIF, or PNG images under 5MB in size.
- Logos must also be in RGB format—not CMYK.
You can also turn on the Snail-mail-friendly setting so the recipient’s address will appear in an envelope window.
You can also Hide columns so that the type, quantity, or unit price columns do not show on your invoices and estimates.
Messages are not shared between invoices and estimates.
Invoice and estimate messages
Here, you can customize the default message that is sent to your client along with your invoices and estimates.
These sections also list variables that you can use in your default messages to automatically include dependent information, such as the invoice balance (%invoice_amount%), the invoice issue date (%invoice_issue_date%), or the invoice due date (%invoice_due_date%).
Under Invoices > Configure > Messages, you can set up a default reminder to be sent automatically when an invoice is late. You can also enable reminders for individual invoices. For full details see our article on late invoice reminder messages.
In the case of free form recurring invoices where the invoices are sent automatically (rather than being saved as drafts for you to send manually), automatic reminder messages must be set up for each individual recurring invoice template.
You can customize a default thank-you message to send once an invoice is paid.
If you have online payment enabled, you can also choose to automatically send a thank-you message whenever a client pays an invoice via online payment. A couple of notes here:
- Automatic thank-you messages will only work for invoices that have been sent via Harvest. If you instead share the link to the invoice with your client, you'll need to manually send a thank-you, using the Send thank-you button on the invoice.
- In the case of free form recurring invoices where the invoices are sent automatically (rather than being saved as drafts for you to send manually), automatic thank-you messages must be set up for each individual recurring invoice template.
Here’s how to configure these messages:
- Go to Invoices > Configure > Messages and scroll to Thank-you message.
- If you want to automate thank-you messages for online payments, check the box next to Send a thank-you once an invoice is marked as paid after online payment. (Please review the notes about automatic thank-you messages.)
- Customize your message as needed. You can use any of the variables listed at the top of the page.
- Click the Save messages button.
To manually send a one-off thank-you message after an invoice has been paid, navigate to a paid invoice and click the Send thank-you button on the top left of the invoice.
Translations are not shared between invoices and estimates.
The labels under Translations include things like the document title, amount, and the message your client will see after they make an online payment on the web invoice.
Updating this section can be useful if you need to translate your invoices into another language or change the labels to match your team's preferred verbiage.
Item Types are not shared between invoices and estimates.
Each line item on an invoice and estimate is assigned an item type to add more detail and categorization to the time and expenses billed to your client. There are two default item types that will appear in the Type dropdowns: Product for expenses, and Service for billable hours or fees.
You can edit the name of each existing default by clicking the Edit button next to it. For example, if you want your default hours/fees item type to be "Labor," click Edit next to Service and update it.
Additional item types can be created by clicking the + New item type button. While the default item types will automatically populate on invoices and estimates, other item types must be assigned to line items manually.
You can enable online payment for client invoices under Settings > Integrations > Online payment. You can learn more about this feature in our article about Online Payment.