Detailed Time and Expense Reports 🎦
Detailed Time and Expense Reports show hours or expenses by date and entry. They’ll allow Administrators to mark hours and expenses as invoiced or uninvoiced and to move hours in bulk to another project or task.
How to Use the Detailed Time Report
This video covers the basics of using the Detailed Time Report.
How to Run a Detailed Time or Expense Report: Step by Step
Administrators can run Detailed Time and Expense Reports for all projects. Project Managers can run Detailed Time and Expense Reports for projects they manage, or for themselves if they don't manage any projects. Regular Users can only run Detailed Time and Expense Reports for themselves.
Go to Reports > Detailed Time or Reports > Expense.
Choose a Timeframe.
Filter the clients/projects/people/etc. you want to see in the report with the input boxes.
- You can choose more than one filter.
- Reports will include archived information automatically, but you’ll need to check the box next to Include archived items in filters if you want to specifically select archived items, such as archived teammates, in your report filters.
- Click Search Roles to filter by Roles instead of Team.
Click Run Report.
From the Show menu, you can filter your report by invoiced and uninvoiced hours or expenses, or billable and non-billable hours or expenses. You can also change the grouping of your report via the Group by menu.
On an Expense Report, Administrators and Project Managers can click the paper clip icon next to a number in the Amount column to view or print the file (receipt photo, PDF, etc.) attached to that expense.
Jumping to Timesheet Entries or Expenses
Administrators can jump from a Detailed Time or Expense Report directly to a particular time entry on the person’s timesheet or a particular expense in the person’s expense list. This is especially useful when you want to edit a time entry or expense to fix a mistake you discovered while running a report.
Click the blue underlined number in the Hours (Detailed Time Report) or Amount (Expense Report) column to jump to the corresponding item on the person’s timesheet or in their expense list. A little tip: you may want to right-click the number and open the entry or expense in a new browser tab or window; that way, when you’re done editing, you can simply close the tab or window and return to your report without needing to run it again!
Here’s what this feature looks like for a Detailed Time Report, from clicking on the blue number in the report to opening the edit window for the time entry:
Marking Hours or Expenses as Invoiced or Uninvoiced
When you create an invoice based on project hours, Harvest automatically marks all included hours and expenses as invoiced. When you run a Detailed Time or Expense Report, lock icons mark invoiced and locked entries.
From a Detailed Time or Expense Report, Administrators can mark hours or expenses as invoiced to lock them or as uninvoiced to unlock them.
- Note: Project Managers and Regular Users can run Detailed Time and Expense Reports, but they can’t mark hours or expenses as invoiced or uninvoiced.
To mark hours or expenses as invoiced or uninvoiced:
- Go to Reports > Detailed Time or Reports > Expense.
- Set the filters so they only capture the time or expense entries you want to update, then run the report.
- To select individual entries to update, use the checkboxes on the left. If you want to update all the entries on the page, check the box at the top of the report or leave all of the boxes unchecked.
- Click the Actions dropdown.
- Select the option you want for marking the items as either invoiced or uninvoiced.
- In the dialog that appears, click Mark As … to confirm or Cancel to cancel the action.
Moving Hours to Another Project or Task
From a Detailed Time Report, Administrators can reassign multiple time entries from one project or task to another, all at once! This can be useful if, for example, someone has been tracking time to the wrong project or task. This can also be useful if you need to split one project into two and move some time from the original project to the new one, or if you’d like to merge two different tasks into one.
You can learn more about bulk editing time entries in this article.
Exporting Detailed Time and Expense Reports
Detailed Time Report
From the Export menu, you can export to Excel, CSV, and PDF. You can also export to Google Drive if you’ve set up the integration. Note that all exports (except PDF) will contain more detailed information than what you see on the interface.
From the Export menu, you can export to Excel, CSV, and PDF. To export a report that includes expense receipt images from Harvest, choose PDF.
Print both reports by clicking the printer icon. When printing a Detailed Time Report, if there is more than one page of results, you will have the option of printing the currently visible page or exporting a PDF of the full report to print all pages.