Each person in Harvest has a profile that contains information about them. Profiles have six sections: Basic info, Assigned projects, Assigned people, Permissions, Notifications, and Security.
Administrators in Harvest can view and edit their own and other people’s profiles, Managers can view and edit their own and some sections of their assigned people's profiles, and Members can only view and edit their own profiles.
When viewing another person’s profile, you won’t see the Notifications section.
How to view a profile
To view your own profile
- Click your name in the upper right corner of Harvest.
- Click My profile.
To view another teammate's profile as an Administrator or Manager
- From Team, click on a person to view their person page.
- Only Administrators and Managers with assigned people have access to Team.
- Click Edit profile (upper right corner).
Once in a profile, you can navigate to Basic info, Assigned projects, Assigned people, Permissions, and Security from the menu on the left. Your permission level will determine which parts a profile you see.
In the Basic info section of a person’s profile, you can edit your personal details, or other people’s details if you’re an Administrator or Manager with assigned people. Here’s what’s included under Basic info, with additional information on some items below the list:
- Type: Employee or Contractor
- First name
- Last name
- Work email
- Roles (Only Administrators can view/edit)
- Capacity (Only Administrators can view/edit)
- Billable Rate (Administrators and Managers with special permission can view/edit)
- Cost Rate (Only Administrators can view/edit)
- Permissions (Only Administrators can edit, but everyone can view their own permission level)
Team members are divided into Employee and Contractor sections in the Team section, in summary time reports (Reports > Time), and when Administrators and some Managers use the Teammates dropdown on their timesheet to view someone else’s timesheet. Although the distinction between Employees and Contractors is primarily just for your information, only Contractors will appear in the Contractor Report. In addition, the Account Owner must be an Employee, not a Contractor.
Name and email
Administrators and Managers with assigned people have the ability to change another person’s first and last name, and Administrators can also change other people's email addresses. Some things to note:
- Updating a person’s name will change their Harvest ID settings and will affect all accounts that person is a part of. They’ll receive an email notification that their name has changed, letting them know which Harvest and Forecast accounts are affected.
- Updating a person’s email address will create a new Harvest ID for that person and won’t affect any other Harvest or Forecast accounts that the prior email is a part of. They’ll receive an invitation at their new email address and should sign out of all their Harvest and Forecast accounts before accepting the new invitation. Once they’ve done that, they’ll be able to sign in to Harvest again. If a person needs their email address updated for multiple Harvest accounts or for both Harvest and Forecast, they should update their Harvest ID rather than just a single profile within an account.
- Non-Account Owners can’t edit the Account Owner’s email address. Other Administrators in the account will still see the email in the Account Owner’s profile, but the field will be grayed out.
Roles are descriptors for your teammates and allow you to specify what role each person plays in your company: Designer, Manager, Copywriter, etc. If you enter roles for your teammates, you can filter your Team section, detailed time reports (Reports > Detailed time), and detailed expense reports (Reports > Detailed expense) by role.
This setting indicates which timezone an individual person is working in and is set to the account’s overall timezone by default. They can set a different timezone when they accept their invitation to the account, or it can be edited in their profile at a later date.
In accounts that track via start and end time, each person’s timestamps are based primarily on the timezone of the devices they track from, so it’s best for this profile setting to match the timezone set on those devices.
If a team signs up for Harvest with a Google account, we automatically pull in the Google profile photo for each teammate added. You can remove a previously added photo in this section by checking the box next to Remove photo and clicking the Update info button at the bottom.
When you first join a Harvest account, a Welcome home page is automatically shown each time you sign in. The page contains links to articles that can help you get started with your time tracking. If you’ve dismissed the Welcome home page and you’d like to see it again, you can check the box next to Show the Welcome home page in this section of your profile.
In the Assigned projects section of a person’s user profile, everyone can can see which projects they’re assigned to, and Administrators and some Managers can manage other people’s project assignments.
How to assign projects as an Administrator or Manager
- From the user profile, click Assigned projects (left).
- Click into the search bar at the top of the page to search for and select the projects you want to assign.
- To add someone to all current projects, click Assign to all projects at the bottom of the search menu. This will also automatically assign the person to all new projects created in the future, but you can disable this option after you click Assign projects.
- Click Assign projects.
To remove someone from a project, click the X next to the project name. Removing someone from a project won’t delete time or expenses they’ve tracked to that project.
You can also choose which projects a Manager or Administrator can manage from this section. Check the box in the Manages this project column next to any project the teammate needs to manage or click the All link under Manages this project to mark them as a manager on all of the projects they’re assigned to. The change will sync in the account automatically.
If you’d like to mark a Member as a manager on a project, note that doing so will increase their permissions to Manager. You can check the box to the right of a project name, or click the All link under Manages this project to mark them as a manager on all of the projects they’re assigned to. To confirm the change to their permissions, click the Yes, update permissions button in the message that appears.
In the Assigned people section of a person's user profile, Managers can view people assignments for themselves and their assigned people, but only Administrators can make edits to a person's assigned people.
How to assign people as an Administrator
- From the user profile, click Assigned people (left)
- Click into the search bar at the top of the page to search for and select the people you want to assign to this Manager.
- Click Assign people.
To remove a person from a Manager's assigned people, click the X next to the person's name.
In the Permissions tab of a person's profile, Administrators can view and update permissions for others while others can only view their own permissions or the permissions of their assigned people. A person's current permission level is indicated by a white dot in the circle next to their assigned permission level.
In the Notifications section of your own profile, you can manage the notifications we send to you. You won’t see this section in other people’s profiles.
Need some help remembering to track your time? When you enable timesheet reminders in your profile, we’ll send you a notification if you haven’t tracked anything by the time you choose on the day(s) you select. Learn more in our article about sending timesheet reminders to yourself.
Your Weekly Harvest report
If you check the box here, we’ll email you a personal report at the beginning of each week—Your Weekly Harvest report—to give you a colorful overview of how you spent your time the previous week.
Here you can opt in to receive emails when timesheets are submitted for projects you manage or by your assigned people (if Timesheet Approval is enabled and you’re a Manager or Administrator). You can also choose whether to receive emails whenever timesheets are approved (if Timesheet Approval is enabled and you’re an Administrator).
Here, you can:
- Opt out of project deletion emails (if you’re a Manager or Administrator).
- Choose to hear from us occasionally when we share updates, tips, and interesting stories related to Harvest.
Here everyone can change their password and manage calendar integrations, and Administrators and Managers with assigned people can resend the invitation to join the account and send password reset emails to others.
Changing your password
- Click your name in the top right corner of Harvest and select My profile.
- Under the Security tab, click Change your password. This will take you to the Security section of your Harvest ID.
- Click the green Change my password button.
- You’ll receive a password reset email with a link you can follow to set a new password.
In the Integrations section of your profile’s Security tab, you can connect to or disconnect from some Harvest-built integrations, such as the Google and Outlook.com calendar integrations.
What Administrators and Managers with assigned people see in another person’s Security section
Administrators and Managers can’t see anyone else’s password. Instead, they’ll see a Reset password button that will send the person instructions on how to reset their password. If the person hasn’t signed in to Harvest yet, Administrators and Managers with assigned people will see a Resend invitation button.