How to add and import people
You can build your company’s team by adding people to your account from your Team section.
To get your employees and contractors started tracking time, you can add or import each person to your account. When adding each teammate, you'll be able to set their billable and cost rates, permission level, weekly capacity, optional roles, and assign them to projects so they can track time and expenses. You'll also be able to make people assignments to your teammates who should be able to approve timesheets for and report on others.
Before adding or importing people, you may need to increase your seat count from Settings (top right). Visit our page on adding seats to or removing seats from your subscription for more information on adding space for new teammates.
- Go to Team and click the + Invite person button.
- Enter the new person’s name and email address. The email address must be unique for every person on the account.
- Click the link Add this person’s roles, capacity, and rates now to set their role, rates, and capacity.
- Click Invite and continue, and an email will be sent to your teammate to let them know how to sign in to Harvest and create their password.
- Choose which permissions level the new teammate should have.
- Click into the Select projects to assign… field and either select from existing projects in the account or click Assign to all projects at the bottom of the project list. Then, click Assign projects (or Assign all projects, if you’ve chosen that option) so the new teammate can start tracking time as soon as they accept their invitation.
- If this person has Manager permissions and should be able to report on and approve timesheets for some of their teammates, click into the Find and select people to assign field to make people assignments for them.
You can import people via a CSV file by going to the Team section and clicking the Import button. The file can be created and formatted in Excel (or another spreadsheet program) and then exported to a CSV file. The CSV file will need to be formatted using UTF-8 encoding.
More information on importing, including a video walkthrough, is available in our general article on importing data.
Your spreadsheet will need to be organized with the following nine columns, in order:
- First name (Required)
- Last name (Required)
- Email (Required)
- Billable rate
- Cost rate
- Admin (Yes/No)
- Employee (Yes/No)
Some things to look out for:
- Be sure to include a header row with the column names. The column names and order must match exactly for the import to work.
- First name, Last name, and Email are required and can’t be blank.
- Harvest imports only accept commas (,) as delimiters. Semicolons (;), slashes (/), and other delimiters will result in import errors.
If you’re re-importing an existing teammate, existing roles, rates, user permissions (the Admin column), employee/contractor status, and capacity will be updated based on the new import. Please take special care with the following columns:
- Billable rate and Cost rate: If a person’s billable/cost rate in the file matches their current billable/cost rate in Harvest, nothing will change. If the rate is different from their current rate or is left blank, the new (or blank) rate will override their current default, including any historical rates.
- Admin: Re-imported teammates cannot be updated to or maintain Manager permissions. This column can only set people to Member or Administrator permissions. If you update an existing Manager via import, you'll then need to manually restore their Manager permissions in Harvest.
- For the Roles column, use a
|(vertical bar) to separate multiple roles.
- For Billable rate and Cost rate, you don’t need to include the currency symbol. Your account’s default currency is automatically used for all default rates.
- For the Admin column, write
yesto import the person with Administrator permissions. If the column says
noor is left blank, they’ll be imported with Member permissions (even if you're re-importing an existing teammate who previously had Manager permissions).
- Similarly, for the Employee column, enter
yesto import the person as an employee. If the column says
noor is left blank, they’ll be imported as a contractor.
If you prefer, here’s a sample CSV file you can download and use as a template.
Once the import is complete, Harvest will email each imported person with instructions on how to sign in to their account. They won’t be automatically assigned to any projects, so make sure you do that by either editing each project or assigning them to projects in bulk in their profile.