How do I track day rates in Harvest?
Although Harvest doesn’t explicitly support day rates, it’s easy to track them using the method below. Note that we only recommend this method if day rates can be shared with everyone in your organization. The rates will be viewable by all users in your Harvest account, regardless of their permissions.
First, create a new expense category for your day rate:
- Head to Manage > Expense Categories.
- Click New Category and enter Day Rate as the name.
- Check the box for This expense has a unit price. This will expand additional options.
- Enter your day rate in the first box and day in the second one, then click Save Category.
Next, you can track your day rate:
- Go to Expenses and add a new expense entry for each day you work. Choose the project you worked on, then choose Day Rate as the category.
- Enter 1 for the Amount, add any necessary notes, and click Save Expense.
- When you create an invoice based on tracked time and expenses, choose to include expenses so your day rate entries are added to your invoice.
You can still track your down-to-the-minute time for your own records when you’re billing by day. To set up a project so you can track time that won’t be billed:
- Go to Projects, then click the Actions menu to the right of the project you’d like to edit.
- Select Edit to go to the Edit Project form.
- Ensure that the Project Type is Time & Materials and Hourly Rate is set to No Hourly Rate before saving your changes.
This way, you’ll be able to track your time to the project without rate information being applied. Note that this method won’t work if you need to track both day rates and hourly rates on the same project.