How to Bulk Edit Time Entries
If you’re a Regular User, check out our Regular User resources.
Administrators can reassign multiple time entries from one project or task to another, all at once! This can be useful if, for example, someone has been tracking time to the wrong project or task. This can also be useful if you need to split one project into two and move some time from the original project to the new one, or if you’d like to merge two different tasks into one.
Bulk editing time entries can be done from the Detailed Time Report. Note that there are a few things to be aware of:
- Project Managers can run Detailed Time Reports, but they can’t bulk move time entries because they can’t edit other people’s time.
- If a person or task included in the entries isn’t already assigned to the new project, we’ll add them for you.
- You can move time even if it’s already been approved.
- You can’t move time if it’s already been invoiced.
- You can’t move time to an archived project.
- You can move uninvoiced time to a project that’s already been invoiced for the time period in question. If you want to bill your client for the moved time entries, you’ll need to create another invoice for that time period.
Bulk Move Hours To Another Project or Task
- Go to Reports > Detailed Time.
- Set the filters so they only capture the time entries you want to update, then run the report.
- Note: While a report narrowed by filters can be easier to review, it’s not always possible to narrow a report to only the entries you’re looking for. You can also select individual entries by checking the box to the left of an entry if you’d like to move specific entries on the report.
- Click the Actions dropdown.
- Select Move all hours to another project or …task if you’re moving all of the time entries on the report, or Move selected hours to another project or …task if you’ve selected specific entries.
- In the dialog that appears, select the project or task you’d like to move the hours to, then click Next Step.
- Review the changes that will be made. If everything looks correct, type
MOVEinto the text field and click the Move Hours button.
- The Detailed Time Report will update with the changes highlighted.