How can I change the client for a project or an invoice?
In some instances, you can update the client for a project or an invoice.
Changing the client on a project
If you edit the client on an existing project, all time entries and expenses tracked to the project will remain intact and update to reflect the new client name.
You'll first need to unlink any invoices that are linked to the project you want to move. A few notes here:
- You may not be able to re-link the invoices to the project under the new client (see below).
- You won't be able to unlink invoices linked to retainers, or invoices drawing from multiple projects. Your best bet would be to delete and recreate those invoices.
To unlink invoices from a project:
- Head to Projects and click on the project name.
- On the project analysis page, click the Invoices tab.
- Next to each invoice, you'll see an Unlink button. Click that button for each invoice to unlink it from the project.
To change the client on a project:
- In the Projects section, click the Actions dropdown for the project and select Edit.
- Change the Client dropdown to the client you want to assign the project to.
- Click Update project at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
Changing the client on an invoice
Invoices often can't be re-linked to a project after you assign it to a different client. An invoice is considered a historical record in Harvest, so changing the client it's assigned to isn't possible if the invoice was created based on tracked time and expenses.
You can't change an existing invoice's client for:
- Invoices for one or more Time & Materials projects
- Invoices for both a Time & Materials project and a Fixed Fee project
- Recurring invoices
- Recurring invoice templates
- Retainer invoices
- Invoices that draw from a retainer
You can change an existing invoice’s client for:
- Invoices for one or more Fixed Fee projects when all line items have Linked project set to None
- Blank invoices when all line items have Linked project set to None